woensdag 21 februari 2018

On my way to Kenya ...Ortwin Magnus

On my way to Nairobi, Kenya.  For the Monitoring of the project that we started in 2006 with our partners Kenyan Engineering Workers Union.  It's been a few years since my last visit.   The colleagues from East Flanders and ISVI follow up the project closely.   During our last visit and after evaluation, we decided to prolong our support to the project unto 2021.   HIV awareness, emancipation, building a stronger metalworkers union as a counterweight to the raw capitalist behaviour in booming East Africa, is a natural match of humane solidarity. In my memory Nairobi fits perfect in “A Tale of two Cities” but even more in “A City of billions of Tales”.  Contrasts between Savannah, slums like Kibera, fancy tower buildings, the few rich, the many poor, equal in traffic jams, but just and only then....Politicians fighting eachother in a strive to favourite their few, instead of working together for the many.  I’m curious to witness some changes ;-).   And of course looking forward to meeting our union comrades and my friend Stefan, his wife and daughter living in Nairobi.   Zuri is the name of the girl I’m going to meet for the first time, and she’s 2 and a half years old.   Time flies.     But for now it’s still Amsterdam Schiphol, waiting for my flight to Kenyatta airport.   When I wake up tomorrow morning : Jambo Kenya !
Ortwin Magnus

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten